Taking photographs of cars is about more than just aiming and shooting. Sure, if you just want a picture to sell it, that is enough. However, if you are serious about car photography, there are a few things that you can do to take better photographs.
These are tips from the expert car photographers:
1. Choose the right time of the day. The best times of the day to shoot a car is just before sunrise or just after sunset. The soft natural light will make for an amazing photograph.
2. Consider taking driving shots. Driving shots can be great if you time them right. The best way to get a great driving shot is to be in a moving car yourself. Always be careful with this and please don’t take any photographs while driving. Get a friend to drive while you get ready for the perfect picture. Drive at 60km/h and set your shutter speed to 1/100th of a second.
3. Choose your background carefully. Make sure that you choose a simple background that complements the car. Find a background that repeats the colour of the car or that suits the theme of your picture.
4. Keep the colour of the car in mind. All colours look different in different kinds of light. Most colours don’t work with direct sunlight, but there are exceptions. Do a test in different types of lighting before shooting your final shot.
5. Keep an eye out for reflections. A car’s exterior can act like a mirror especially if it is a new one. Be careful of your surroundings and look closely at what is reflected in the car before you take a picture. Try to shoot in an area that has open spaces and no buildings.
These are only a few tips. There is so much more to learn and share, but we will continue with more in a later post. For now, have fun trying out new things with your car photography.